Tuesday, April 21, 2015

George Walker plays premiering in Toronto

I have a couple of posts I should write related to the Montreal trip (which went well though, perhaps not surprisingly, not precisely according to plan).  However, this is quite exciting news: 2 new George F. Walker plays have landed in Toronto.  I honestly had no idea he was still writing, let alone tackling a brand new series of plays called The Classroom Plays.

I guess the title is slightly misleading as one of the two plays on the bill (Parents Night) technically premiered in Hamilton in the fall, though this is the same cast and presumably director.  This will be the first time they are performed in Toronto, and the second play on the bill, The Bigger Issue, is a world premiere.  More information here and here.  I haven't yet made it to the Theatre Passe Muraille, which is yet another reason to try to make it, aside from the fact I have kids in the school system and am always a bit worried about how they are making out and whether we made the right choice with this school, though generally things seem to be on track.  (I wonder if my wife would want to go or if this would just add too much to her own anxiety about the kids and how they are doing in school and perhaps more to the point how they are interacting with other kids in the school.)

I am sure I will find this both depressing and full of dark humour, so I will have to find a way to squeeze it in.  I just ordered tickets to Tafelmusik for this Friday, and if I go do anything else Saturday, I will almost certainly oversleep and miss my flight Sunday morning (not that this doesn't have some appeal if I am honest with myself).  I will just have to see if the following weekend I have time.  The weekend after that, we will have closed on the house, and while I will occasionally slip away to a play (and ideally the Sing for your Supper for May, which was moved to May 11) I really do need to focus on getting the house ready and doing some painting and starting the move, which may be a bit protracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment