Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Looking forward again

I probably could merge this post with this list, but this is more about looking way past the current season to events in 2017 and beyond.  I did mention that this year Video Cabaret is only doing one show, but next year they are hoping to do in the neighbourhood of 4-6, which is quite exciting.  (This also reminds me that I ought to get my tickets to Soulpepper soon.)

Not too surprisingly, I am not interested in what Canadian Stage nor Mirvish is doing, though I did hear rumors that Mirvish was going to bring The Book of Mormon back for a short stint.  I would probably go see that again.

Tarragon's new season looks a bit more appealing than this year's season, which left me quite cold.  This upcoming season they are rehashing Infinity and The Watershed.  I have to say I find their scheduling very odd.  Loyal subscribers (and I do not count myself among them) sort of get shafted when they keep remounting things so often.  I've noticed Soulpepper does this as well, but they have so many different events going on that probably few people subscribe to the entire season.  I did enjoy Infinity, though I don't feel I need to see it again.  I'm not that interested in The Watershed, but I may go just so I can see I finally saw Eric Peterson on stage, since I am increasingly being mixed up with him.  I am leaning towards seeing Sequence and The Realistic Joneses, and I may go see The Circle, since it is about high schoolers.  It might help -- or it might block me -- from finishing The Study Group.  I have around 8 months to decide.  I am quite on the fence about Midsummer (a "play with songs") but leaning against.

Where I have no ambivalence is the upcoming exhibitions at AGO.  They are looking quite enticing, so I will certainly renew our membership.  This summer they are bringing the Lawren Harris exhibit to town.  I've blogged about this already, so I will refrain now.

Then in the fall they are bringing an exhibition of "masterworks" from the Musee d'Orsay and elsewhere.  I've probably seen many of these paintings, but not that often.  It is a very good opportunity to go again.  There will be paintings by Georgia O'Keeffe, Monet, Gauguin, Van Gogh and many others.  I'm most excited about seeing Van Gogh's Starry Night over the Rhone at Arles.


The kids should be able to see the Starry Night at MoMA in a couple of weeks (along with Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, which is on my mind after seeing Steve Martin's play last Saturday), so hopefully they can imagine the two together.  I actually saw the Vollard exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago where the two were paired, and that was so cool.  I think I went back 3 times just to see that.

Finally, in the summer of 2017, the AGO is going to have an exhibit on Georgia O'Keeffe, primarily organized by the Tate Modern.  I'm looking forward to that as well, especially as this is the only North American stop.  That doesn't happen too often that Toronto gets an exclusive.  So if you are a major O'Keeffe fan, start making your travel arrangements soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment