Friday, July 1, 2016

Filling up the Calendar pt. 3

Just a few more things popped up on the radar, including a concert tomorrow (Sat.)

The Kindred Spirits Orchestra mostly plays north of here in Markham, but once a year they repeat a concert downtown at the Glenn Gould Studio.  Tomorrow at 8 pm they will be playing Dvorak's Violin Concerto and Shostakovich's Symphony 9.  I'm pretty sure I can wrap up whatever I am doing tomorrow (mostly just deck work) and get downtown for that.

Curiously enough, the KSO are going to do Shostakovich's 10 Symphony in Feb. 2017, though this time only in Markham (the 2016-17 season is here).  Still, it isn't such a bad drive for me, assuming this isn't a weekend when the Don Valley Parkway is closed.  Given they don't do construction work in the middle of winter, I should be fairly safe, and I think I shall tentatively plan on going to this.  While #10 is not played all that often, I've seen it several times, but it is an interesting one, and I'll encourage others to go (that is assuming that I find out tomorrow their musicianship is at a solid level).

I've gone ahead and gotten 4 tickets for Fringe plays, and I think I've covered that off reasonably well.

It's still not clear whether I will go to Casa Loma on July 26th to see Vivaldi's The Four Seasons.  Nicola Benedetti is coming through on March 3 2017 with the Venice Baroque Orchestra to play the Four Seasons and other baroque works (details here) and that may be the direction I go in instead.  I'll keep my eye on the weather and decide in a few weeks.

The National Youth Orchestra of Canada is coming to Koerner Hall on Aug. 11 to play Bloch's Schelomo for cello and orchestra and Prokofiev Symphony No.5.  I'll want to see that, and also see if anyone from work is interested in going.

Around this time in the fall, the TSO and other events start up again, but there are a few things I can add to the calendar.

There is a free jazz(ish) concert by Allison Au at Koerner Hall on Oct. 2, but I'll have to figure out how to get tickets.

Oct. 13, the Julliard Quartet is coming through as part of Music Toronto, playing string quartets by Beethoven and Dvorak.  I'd like to go, though I must say that the single ticket prices are really too high, and I may bail on all of their concerts.

The Academy of St Martin in the Fields Chamber Ensemble is here Oct. 21, but I think I will actually pass.

I might see Viktoria Mullova playing various Bach violin concertos on Nov. 13.

Nov 18 it is a (rare) jazz concert that is of interest: the Stefano Bollani Trio.

Dec. 15, the Gryphon Trio is playing at the Jane Mallet Theatre (Music Toronto), and I might go to that.  They play around Toronto occasionally, but I don't think I've ever caught them, and I should correct that soon(ish).

Feb. 10 there is a concert mixing Villa-Lobos's Ciranda des sete notas and Sibelius Symphony 5.

March 2, the Prazak Quartet is in town (invited by Music Toronto) to play Bruckner's String Quartet and Dvorak's "American" String Quartet.  I shouldn't go if I also go to Benedetti, but I might anyway, though as noted the ticket prices are fairly steep.

I am debating going to see Alina Ibragimova and Cedric Tiberghien on March 31, 2017 though in this case it would only be to see Tiberghien, so I have to think if the pieces they have chosen will really feature the piano or if they are designed to show off the violin with just piano backing.  Details are here, and I will be pondering this for a while.

The following day there is a jazz concert with Jason Moran and Bandwagon.  I won't do the two back to back, so something has to give.

Then May 2017 is the RC21 Festival again, but they haven't filled in any of the details, so I am not about to commit to going.

No comments:

Post a Comment