Thursday, July 7, 2016

Wrapping up the Fringe 2016

I actually have two more shows to go this weekend (Comedy of Errors and The Unending (the one that incorporates Beckett's Play in the middle)) and that will be it.  Depending on the weather and my schedule, I may try to get to Fringe Central and watch one of the Shed Shows on Sat.  Of course, I'd also like to swing up to Arsenal Toronto Sat. as well, which I will probably do unless it is just pouring out.

I did enjoy Bright Lights quite a bit.  I thought the spectacle of Weird was nice (a fair bit of aerial rope work) but the dramatic aspects (reworking and reversing the meaning of the actions of the 3 witches in Macbeth, a bit like Wicked but not quite as extensive a rewrite) just didn't do much for me.  Probably my expectations were just a bit too high.

I think Sat. I am mostly going to be taking "me" time, whereas I will try to do something with the kids Sunday (maybe take them to AGO in the morning and swimming in the early afternoon?).  I have been working extremely hard on the deck, and also it is just so hot out it is quite draining.  I need to recharge a bit.

Curiously, I don't have any ticketed shows, aside from the two Fringe shows, in July.  I do have two plays to see in August, plus I'll probably check out the National Youth Orchestra of Canada.  I'm pretty sure I will try to catch Hamlet in High Park in the next two weeks, and then Taming of the Shrew is in Withrow Park from July 19-24 (or Todmorden Mills this Friday), so I'll be doing quite a bit, but at least at the moment I am not committed to any specific dates in July.  That's kind of nice, so that my plans can change last minute.

Anyway, the handyman came over yesterday and will give us a quote on the various tasks.  He thinks fixing the stairs downstairs won't be a big deal, and we can have that done in a couple of weeks.  He basically said that we should have just rebuilt the porch, since the wood was so old, but I think the parts that we use should last another cycle.  He felt that the lower deck was in great shape and practically a thing of beauty.  He suggested that they flush out the raccoon nest and then block off the entire area with steel mesh.  I guess we can give that a try first, but I have my doubts about the effectiveness of this treatment.  (It also means that I will still have another weekend of work sanding and staining, though it won't be anywhere nearly as bad as the upper deck.)  That's pretty much it, though we are deciding whether to put our daughter into summer camp, since she is already so bored just hanging around the house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment